The economy is starting to pick up and what I am hearing and seeing is that some companies are indeed hiring again. While this is good news for most of the people who are out of work and looking the rules on how to “get the job” have changed pretty dramatically.
(1) The first thing to remember is NEVER put anything on the Internet that you wouldn’t want any potential employer to read. I am not talking about commenting on their marketing or branding in a constructive way what I am talking about are personal comments or social media posts that can get you in trouble.
(2) Even if a job is perfect for you you’re still going to be evaluated by the people you meet in an interview not on the potential value and ability to do the job. I recently interviewed for a job that was an absolute perfect fit for me and one which I could have really provided a LOT of value to the company but I lost out to another candidate “who has a slight edge”. Don’t swell on it and move on. Unfortunately a lot of people can be threatened by Linchpins who are ready to ask “why?” and “Why not” and companies all too often want someone who can “fit in”.
(3) Unless you are really desperate don’t apply for a job you don’t want working for a company you don’t want to work for. I received a call from a company looking for a VP of Marketing that marketers psychic connections and immediately told them I did not want to work for them even though the money was great.
(4) Ask a lot of questions about the company and its culture. What time do people usually start work and leave ? How long do people stay with the company? Do you usually promote from within ? A woman I know recently took what she thought was a great job only to find that she is working 10-12 hour days and has no life now causing her to break up with her fiance. Work to live do not live to work even if you have a great gig.
(5) Even when you think you have aced an interview never take anything for granted. On a recent round of first interviews I was told how everyone loved my background and what I said but a week later I in competition with another candidate who eventually got the job.
Companies make you go through a LOT to get jobs today but right now it is a buyers market and they pick and choose who they want. Never compromise who you are to get what you want. Give it your best shot and look back and say “I gave it my best shot and can hold my head high”
- Hiring staff – How to interview a job applicant (premierlinedirect.co.uk)
- Use Social Media for Job Search Success in 2012 (thejobsearchtimes.com)
- The number one thing you are doing that is keeping you from your dream job (certificationconnection.wordpress.com)
- Top 10 reasons why talented marketers leave your company (newmediaandmarketing.com)
- Social networks are not broadcast media (newmediaandmarketing.com)
- Brands struggling with social media (newmediaandmarketing.com)
- 10 Fundamental Tips for Social Media Community Managers (hubspot.com)
- The 10 bottom line truths around social media marketing (newmediaandmarketing.com)
- Are You Really Working Your Internet Marketing Business? (ngap.net)